Mixing up on- and off-road terrain opens up many possibilities for the rider once limited solely by tarmac. However, gravel and dirt come with their own set of challenges, including the need for stronger wheels, larger tires, and better braking. ENVE brings their expertise in carbon fabrication and their experience making some of the world's finest mountain-bike wheels to their SES 4.5AR Disc Carbon Clincher Wheelset, designed for the all-around adventure cyclist who wants speed, durability, and a thoroughly good time.
With an increased 28 mm inner-width, the 4.5AR wheelset is optimized for 28 mm tires, and the 49 mm front depth and 55 mm rear depth ensure the best balance of aerodynamics and weight savings. The tubeless-ready design features a hookless bead, reducing the chance of burping a tire on rough terrain and while maximizing your contact patch for better traction in all conditions.
- AR All-Road design for on- and off-road use
- Unidirectional carbon construction
- Wider rim profile optimized for 28 mm clincher tires
- Tubeless ready with hookless bead and tire-bed bead seat lock
- Asymmetrical rim geometries provide maximum stability, handling and drag reduction
- 49 mm depth front / 55 mm depth rear
- 31 mm outer / 25 mm inner width front
- 30.5 mm outer / 25 mm inner width rear
- 440 g rim weight front / 450 g rim weight rear
- Wheelset weight is 1508 g with DT 240 hub / 1583 g with Chris King hub
- Compatible with 12 mm thru-axles front and rear
- Disc brake only
Ordered by Most Relevant First
Best Aero wheels for wider tires
3 of 3 customers found this review helpful.
Got them with the DT240's and I'm running them with a couple of bikes that have a mix of QR, 12mm Rear and 15mm front thru axles (bought the adapters for about $30 each and are very easy to switch). So far have only ran the Schwalbe Pro One's 28mm which measure out at right near 32mm on these rims making them the same size at the outer rim. The mounting was one of the easiest I've had for tubeless, used the Lezyne Pressure Over Drive and it had no problems seating.
I have about 1000 miles on them so far mostly on road with some amount of light gravel. They are very fast, handle well in the wind especially given the depth. I'm running about 50-55 PSI and the combination of tires and wheels is very comfortable at that pressure even on really bad roads. They are not inexpressive but so far I'm very happy from a value performance perspective.
Was this review useful to you? Yes
Thank you for your feedback.