Finally got tired of the hassles of a tubular setup....gluing tires and all that. I had recently switched the wife's bike to tubeless and she agreed it worked as advertised.....a smoother, easier, more comfortable ride at lower psi. This wheelset delivers the same in a high-performance package. It's turnkey, includes everything you need....wheels, tires, sealant, valve stems, & brake pads. And they look good, to boot.
So far, I've put about 400 miles on them and have been very pleased. I run them at 80psi (about the max recommended pressure) and they're smooth, fast and comfortable. They take the edge off of chipseal and other rough surfaces. Bearingshub have a smooth, solid feel. Handling feels as good or better than my tubulars did (note that this is a wider tire, 25mm, vs. a 22mm tubular, so not applesapples).
Too early to tell about tire life and flat resistance, but so far I'm pleased and would recommend.
Overall very nice wheelset.
Fast, light, comfortable.
Noisy Freehub (I prefer stealth)
Tires didn't last long.
Actually Mavic's hubris in forcing you to buy their semi-lame and overpriced tires to get their wheels is kind of impressive.
I've been on these now for about 600 miles. They are a replacement for a very good set of wheels I hated to part with. I had high expectations.
Observations so far
- Comfortable, Likely mostly due to the 25mm tires but I feel like they are more vertically compliant than other carbon wheels I tested.
- Great lateral stiffness. Power is there the moment I start a sprint.
- Breaking is much better than expected. Significantly better them my older carbon wheelset.
- Freehub has a little more friction then I'd like but it has loosened up over time. I'm sure this is due to a good weather seal which is not a bad thing.
- Easy hub maintenance.
- Breaking hard is very loud.
- Spin-up is fast and fell light.
- Hard to tell without serious test equipment but they feel fast for a 40mm profile. In any case, this is a good profile compromise.
- Tubeless mounted easily with a floor pump
So far I consider these a super value especially when you include tires. I put the Included tires on another bike and some Schwalbe pro 1 tubeless on these. Excellent combo. however, the Mavic tires are much better then I expected and I would not hesitate to run them on this race bike.